A pair of goals from a pair of Knights led No. 14 UCF to a 4-0 American Athletic Conference victory over ECU in Johnson Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
“I’m really proud of (Kayla Adamek and Dina Orschmann) for getting us on the scoreboard,” UCF head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak said. “But I know that they would give credit to their team first. I think we’re so strong on defense right now. I give them a lot of credit, staring with our goalkeepers and our back four. They’re very solid right now.”
UCF (5-1-1) extended its unbeaten streak to six while picking up its first league victory this season. Sunday’s victory over ECU (5-4-1) marked UCF’s second shutout of the season.
The Knights recorded goals from a veteran and a rookie.
- Senior Kayla Adamek and freshman Dina Orschmann both tallied a pair of goals to lead UCF to the victory.
- Adamek opened the scoring for the Knights, putting her second goal of the season in the back of the net in the 14th minute. Her third goal of the season came at 18:05, beating every ECU defender for the breakaway to make it 2-0 in UCF’s favor.
- Orschmann netted her third marker of the season in the 22nd minute to extend UCF’s edge to 3-0. She drilled a shot from 25 yards out that hit the crossbar and fell in the net. The Berlin native scored her team-leading fourth goal of the season in the 52nd minute, going one-on-one to beat the Pirates keeper.
- The duo lead the team in both goals and points. Orschmann has a team-high 10 points on the season, while Adamek is just behind her with eight.
UCF recorded a season-high four goals in the win.
- In each of its previous four wins, the Knights had two goals. UCF doubled that win total with a 4-0 victory over the Pirates.
- Sunday marked the ninth time since joining the American Athletic Conference that UCF has scored four goals in a league match. The last time the Knights tallied four goals in a conference game was Sept. 29, 2016 when UCF topped Houston 4-0.
The Knights return to the UCF Soccer Complex to host Tulsa on Sept. 28. The match is slated for a 7 p.m. start.
DON'T MISS OUT
The UCF women's soccer team is set for its fifth season under head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak and will welcome six teams from the 2016 NCAA Tournament to the UCF Soccer Complex in 2017. Click here or call (407) 823-1000 for ticket information.
BECOME A PART OF THE WATCH
Membership to Knights Watch, the official supporters group of UCF Soccer, begins at $15 for students and $50 for fans. Packages include tickets to all home contests for men's and women's soccer, a Knights Watch T-Shirt, a soccer scarf and a variety of free catered tailgates. To become a member, click here.
GET THE APP
Never miss any UCF Knights news from your favorite team by downloading the free UCF Knights app right to your iOS or Android phone! The app provides personalized information for men's and women's teams, scores, schedules, loyalty programs and even breaking news.