If you’re a soccer fan, you’ve likely been to the games where superfans have their faces, and even sometimes their entire bodies, painted in enthusiasm for their favorite team. Face paint shows support of the team, but it can also be used to draw attention to different causes or days of remembrance. As Orlando women’s soccer experts, we are here to share some tips and ideas for beginner face painters. Get ready to up your game day attire and be photo ready with some face paint!
What You Need
To paint your face, you are going to need a few tools. A sponge will be helpful for applying a base layer of color, brushes are needed to apply the painted details, and water is needed to mix the paint on the sponge or brush. Additionally, you will need face paint colors that correspond to the design you choose to complete. You can pick up the essentials at retailers like Michaels or Walmart. Lastly, a primer and translucent powder, often used for makeup application, can be helpful additions. We’ll explain the role these two items play later in the application steps.
Choosing Your Design
The fun part of face painting is choosing the design you want to create on your face. There are so many options! You can go with a simple design featuring the colors of Orlando Pride, purple and light blue, or Orlando City, purple, gold, and white. You could even base the design off of one of the eight Orlando City murals commissioned in celebration of the Orlando City MLS logo.
During certain times of the year, works of art that are holiday or event specific may be creative new designs that you try. When it’s time for the World Cup, break out the American flag face paint.
Facepaint can also be used to commemorate or raise awareness of causes. Along with the 49 rainbow seats in the stadium, rainbow face paint could be used to honor the victims of the Pulse Nightclub shooting.
Applying Face Paint
Once you’ve chosen your design, it’s time to work towards the masterpiece you are imagining. Here are some key application steps:
- Start with a clean, dry face. Some people even use makeup primer to create a base that helps the paint achieve a more flawless look.
- If you are doing a base layer, apply it with a sponge. Wet the sponge, and load the sponge with paint. A good ratio of water to paint helps the paint apply in a way that isn’t streaky or patchy.
- Use the edges of the sponge to apply paint to the inner crevices of the eye. To apply paint beneath the eye, look up, and use the edge of the sponge.
- In areas where there is hair, like the eyebrow or facial hair areas, you will need to apply extra pressure to the sponge. Reload the sponge as needed.
- When it is time to apply the details, use a brush. Load the brush with water and paint to create a creamy texture.
- Once you have perfected your design, use some powder that can absorb any moisture that occurs during the game. You can pick up translucent powder at any drug store.
When it’s time for the big game, apply some face paint that truly shows your excitement. The Orlando women’s soccer experts here at QueensCast would love to see your finished face paint project. Tag us in your favorite face paint photos on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter! Keep reading our blog for more helpful tips.