Orlando is the tourist capital of the world, and with four major theme park giants sitting in our backyard, it’s easy to have a full itinerary of small worlds and roller coasters after an Orlando Pride match. There is much more to Orlando, and if you are one of those travelers that like to experience everything Orlando really has to offer, here are some can’t miss things to do while in the City Beautiful.
10 things you can do other than the theme parks!
- Catch an Orlando City Soccer MLS Game: Yes Orlando has a professional men’s soccer team and yes they are good! If you are a football fan then you know who Orlando City is and if not you at least know who Kaka is! If you happen to be in town during the season then you don’t want to miss a game.
- Catch an Orlando Pride Soccer NWSL Game: When the men are away the women will play. Our newest addition to professional sports teams in Orlando is our National Women’s Soccer League team the Pride. Ever heard of Alex Morgan only the best goal scorer in women’s soccer? Yeah she’s on this team.
- Catch an Orlando Magic Basketball Game: A long time staple and Orlando’s first professional sports team, catching a Magic game is always an experience. Especially now that they are housed in the state of the art Amway Center.
- Get outdoors and do an Eco Tour: It’s the sunshine state so why not spend some time outdoors! Ride a kayak through the wetlands, or take an airboat ride and see a gator or 20, plenty of wildlife tours, zip lines and hiking trails available. Check out Gatorland and Boggycreek airboat rides to get the true Florida Cracker experience.
- Smell the flowers at Leu Gardens: Don’t pass up the 50 acre Harry P. Leu Gardens tht has more than 1,000 rose bushes and the largest collection of camellias in North America. A stroll through these renowned botanical gardens will make you one with nature.
- Go shopping: From upscale shopping labels at the Mall at Millennia and The Florida Mall to the bargain hunters paradise of Orlando Premium outlet malls there are deal to be found an shopping galore to be had. You name it you can find it and who doesn’t love a good deal!
- Play some golf at world class courses: Orlando is home to the Golf Channel, Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, Tiger Woods and over 175 top courses designed by such names as Jack Nicklaus and Tom Fazio. So if golf is your game this is the place to test your skill.
- Dine like a local: So dine like a local or a tourist it doesn’t really matter there are so many great restaurants to experience that there is no shortage of great food. Start at restaurant row on Sand Lake road and International Drive and get a great steak at Ruth Chris and a designer Margarita at Roco’s Tacos or work your way to the local spots in Winter Park like The Ravenous Pig, Cask and Larder or Santiago’s Bodega. Either way your stomach is a winner!
- See a show at the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center: Orlando is becoming more and more a cultural city and expressing its artistic side. The newest addition to downtown Orlando the performing art center boast Broadway plays, music artists, comedy shows and events year around. Check out the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center website to see what is on tab during your visit.
- Get cultural at the American Art Museum: Beat you didn’t know Orlando has the largest collection of Tiffany glass in the world. View this as well as other art and architectural objects at the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art in Winter Park.
So, get out and explore the City Beautiful fall in love with the City and learn why there is more to Orlando than the theme parks and tourist traps. Soccer, food, entertainment, nature and memories also known as Orlando!